Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Crazy Caverns, Platform layout

For my platformer, I want to have the location be in a dark cavern.

The main conflict for the level is about the character being trapped in a cave, and needs to find a way out. With various obstacles like moving platforms, falling spikes and timing your jumps correctly, this can be a fun course.
The twist of this level is that if you make one wrong move in certain areas, you have to start all over again so tread carefully. The level is located in a deep cavern with various crystals and spikes dangling from the ceiling. I would like to put some tribal paintings on the walls to give it a bit of culture behind the environment. Since the area is underground, the time of day isn't really important, but I suppose it would be during midday during winter since I want to have some rays peeking through. The only other residents to this cave would be the creatures and tribal people who have decided to call this home. Since these people have only lived in the cave their entire lives, I want the bits of architecture to be blocky and ancient looking, like the animated version of Atlantis.
Prior to the character arriving here, there was a collapse in the cave that caused the natives to evacuate their homes, so everything is abandoned. The player arrives, simply looking to explore, and has accidentally ended up being trapped in a deep cave with a beast, and must quickly find a way out.

Here's my layout for a rough overview of how I want my level to look.

I definitely want to have a color glow similar to this picture.
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/GXH64w5fiXc/maxresdefault.jpg

But still be cartoony like this

No comments:

Post a Comment